AT A GLANCE

  • DCR Workforce conducted a survey to monitor the performance of temporary workforces over 2012-2013 through conventional and unconventional recruiting sources
  • Large companies were more likely to use crowdsourcing to fill temporary positions, while medium companies had the lowest usage
  • The majority of large companies recruited over 100 temporary workers

RELATED ARTICLES



Mar 01, 2013

DCR Survey: Temp Contribution Through Social Media and Crowdsourcing, 2012-13

DCR Workforce recently conducted a survey comprised of all segments of industry participation, administered to executives at various management and operational levels.  The goal of the survey was to monitor the performance of their temporary workforces over 2012-13 through conventional as well as unconventional recruiting sources.

Below are some of the results, looking at overall temporary positions filled, and fill rates by crowdsourcing and social media recruiting. 

Temporary Positions Filled (2012-13)

Temporary Positions Filled (2012-13)

The majority of large companies recruited over 100 temporary workers, accounting for greater than 60%, while those recruiting less than 100 workers share the remaining 40%.  Very few companies fell in the category of recruiting 25 or less contingent workers.  It seems that none of the large companies are without at least some temporary staff over the course of 2012, indicating that contingent workers continue to gain employment share in some magnitude.  Medium and small companies shared almost the same (approximately 50%) category of recruiting less than 25 temporary workers, while some companies did not alter their workforce composition to include contingent workers at all.  

Temp Positions Filled by Crowdsourcing (2012-2013)

The majority of large companies recruited over 100 temporary workers, accounting for greater than 60%, while those recruiting less than 100 workers share the remaining 40%.  Very few companies fell in the category of recruiting 25 or less contingent workers.  It seems that none of the large companies are without at least some temporary staff over the course of 2012, indicating that contingent workers continue to gain employment share in some magnitude.  Medium and small companies shared almost the same (approximately 50%) category of recruiting less than 25 temporary workers, while some companies did not alter their workforce composition to include contingent workers at all.    <<Graphic – Chart Title>> Temp Positions Filled by Crowdsourcing (2012-2013)

The area from “less than 25” temporary workers to “more than 100” temporary workers is filled largely by large companies.  Small companies are second in this aspect, while surprisingly medium companies seem to have the lowest usage of crowdsourcing for recruiting purposes. 

Temp Positions Filled Using Social Media (2012-13)

<<Graphic – Chart Title>> Temp Positions Filled Using Social Media (2012-13)

Recruiting via social media has a similar patter to recruitment through crowdsourcing.  Large companies are still reading the race of using unconventional methods of sourcing and finding contingent workers, while small companies are starting to adopt usage, and medium-sized companies lag behind.

“If you look at the bigger picture…we’re moving towards a new reality in the way we work. A lot of those companies are sitting on a lot of cash, but they’re uncertain with economic stability. They’re looking at contingent and temporary work as more of a risk-management strategy right now. They’re trying to put their toe in the water versus jumping back in with both feet.” ~Kathy Kane, Senior Vice-President at Addeco

Subscribe to our TrendLine Report

Signup here and get the monthly DCR TrendLine, a cutting-edge report offering temporary workforce insight.

*
*
*

Subscription :

Thanks for Subscribing.You will get the monthly DCR TrendLine Reports.